Position: Administrative Assistant
Effective: April 2018
Purpose: Support the mission of St. Mark’s through effective and efficient management of administrative activities and communication responsibilities. As St. Mark’s continues to grow and evolve, all of these responsibilities should be approached with a focus on dynamic leadership and flexibility. Taking initiative and driving innovation in our changing environment are deeply appreciated and necessary skills for our staff at St. Mark’s.
- Become familiar with the overall Ministry-building vision and ministry goals of the congregation and define objectives to help achieve these goals through original communication and administrative support.
- Prepare and deliver congregation messaging and information in a clear and efficient manner.
- Apply and manage various communication channels to effectively reach intended audiences.
- Assist congregation leaders with preparing materials for worship, Faith Formation, events, meetings and holidays.
- Support the St. Mark’s staff, members and visitors by effectively handling daily office responsibilities, such as email, phone calls, calendar events and congregation records.
- Seek out and implement new communication tools and resources as the congregation continues to grow and develop.
- Organize and facilitate the overall strategy and timeline for communications throughout the congregation.
- Compose, proofread and photocopy weekly bulletin for Sunday worship.
- Develop content and work with congregation leaders to compile and distribute communication materials, including, but not limited to, monthly newsletters, flyers, and online messaging.
- Employ various social media and communication platforms to creatively share news, updates and information with congregation members and the surrounding community.
- Manage, update and monitor content and activity on the congregation website.
- Manage and respond to incoming emails, messages and phone calls. This includes recording clear and accurate messages and redirecting inquires to the appropriate staff member(s) when required.
- Organize and maintain the congregation calendar and pastoral care in partnership with the Pastor and staff.
- Monitor office inventory and order supplies for the congregation as needed.
- Attend to and control costs to align with the congregation budget.
- Update and maintain the congregation directory and databases.
- Maintain and file church records and paperwork.
- Partner with staff members to ensure all bills and check requests are accurate and accounted for.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional literacy skills and attention to detail
- Excellent time-management and organization skills
- Ability to evaluate and revise current practices to enhance processes and overall efficiency
- Ability to take initiative and hold others accountable
- Ability to work in a flexible and self-directed work environment
- Ability to collaborate across various groups and committees
- Expertise in Microsoft Suite, specifically Word, PowerPoint and Excel
- Proficient in various social media and technology platforms
- Exhibits discretion and ability handle confidential situations
- Previous communications and administrative experience is preferred
- High School diploma or equivalent; college degree preferred
- Pastor, Bryan Penman
- Church Council, currently chaired by Kathy Pokalo (2018)
- Mutual Ministry Team, currently chaired by Joe Jacovino (2018)
A Note on Expectations:
At St. Mark’s, we focus on both what our staff does (the content of their position descriptions) and how our staff performs their ministry-building work (the elements of communication, attitude, and respect that shine through). On an annual basis, specific goals will be developed by the Administrative Assistant in coordination with the team to which he/she is accountable (Pastor, Church Council, and Mutual Ministry Team). The Administrative Assistant will be evaluated against those goals on an annual basis via a formal, written job performance review.
Resume’s may be submitted to St. Mark’s via Pastor Bryan c/o St. Mark’s Lutheran Church 508 Harry Street Conshohocken PA, 19428 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org. Resume’s will be accepted through May 31st or until the position is filled.